Monday, September 7, 2009

Five quick ways to improve Android Market for developers of paid apps

The main problem I am finding is that we put a lot of money and time at my educational apps company into creating a differentiated, high quality product for the Android Market and we don't have any of the tools necessary to market it. The iTunes store does a lot of the marketing for us, and allows me to do the rest of it.

I know Android is open-source, and Google doesn't take 30% of our earnings. But the store is going to end up being filled with largely freebie junk if Android Market doesn't help folks like us who want to create value-added products to actually sell it. Our iPhone app is outselling our Android app by about 75:1.

If there were 5 things I could suggest:

1) No search engine for apps on the web. You have to use Cyrket, which is a nice mash-up site, but even then, with the short descriptions, it's hard for the user to tell what's good and what isn't.

2) There is no education category. There is a lot of demand out there for educational apps, for all age groups. We specifically make educational apps, so this hurts us. It's better to be more specific with the categories than less, IMHO.

3) No direct link available to my app as far as I can find, so we can’t link to it from our website. We’d like to market our product but all our marketing just says to search Android Market on your phone for .

4) The permitted description length is 325 characters, which is too few characters. I can’t describe my product in that few characters. It's 4,000 in the iPhone appstore. This makes it hard for me to describe my differentiated product and all of its feature.

5) No key words section to help users find what they are looking for and to help us reach users who are looking for the product.

Feel free to add suggestions in the comments section!

1 comment:

patricia said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Patricia

http://dataentryjob-s.com