Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dynamic pricing for fan athletic apparel


Today I walked into the Foot Locker in Downtown Crossing and couldn't help but notice this Jason Bay t-shirt.  It was priced at $22, but clearly the $22 had been slapped over a $20.  I think that pretty well reflects the fortunes of Mr. Bay so far, who is having a great and extremely clutch season for the Red Sox. 


It begs the question - why don't they do more dynamic pricing on athlete specific apparel?  While I was thinking the increase in the Bay shirt was actually smart given how well he's playing, and given that I suspect that shirt will be a best seller over the next few weeks.    Usually you don't see discounts until the player has really gone down the drain and the demand for jerseys is zero.  When I thought about it some more, I was thinking that these jerseys have pretty low marginal cost to produce, but are probably re-sold at reasonably high prices to vendors, which affect how low you'd want to price.  Also, since the shirts cost the same to make, you wouldn't want to cannibalize $22 Jason Bay, Dustin Pedroia and Jonathan Papelbon sales (probably about $19 margin over the actual cost of printing the shirt) with $8 Jason Varitek and $3 Manny Ramirez shirt sales.

I guess I am probably one of the few willing to buy a jersey at a discounted price even if the player has gone downhill.   I guess that explains why I have a Eugene Wilson #26 Patriots jersey and a Antoine Walker #8 Celtics jersey.  

Alas, I looked closer, and Jason Varitek (?!?) had also had a price increase recently from $20 to $22.  Which just seems insane given that Varitek has dropped so far the last two years.

4 comments:

Ted Chan said...

I love that when I post stuff like this it gets hundreds of hits, and all the thought pieces I write get about 10.

Pablo said...

You should have been an economist!

Ted Chan said...

It's more fun being an amateur sometimes!

forex guides said...

Your blog is simply great.. the posts are helfpul..

forex guides