Friday, October 17, 2008

Amazingly hideous professional sports jerseys...

So I am going to a bachelor party where we have to wear throwback baseball jerseys, ridiculous facial hair (not likely for me) and tight baseball pants. The original inspiration I believe, was this picture of Kent Tekulve from his Pirates days:


So began the incredibly frustrating stretch for a credible baseball costume for an Asian. I'm not Japanese, so originally I didn't want to do a Japanese ballplayer. I'd have preferred doing a Korean player. But good Chinese players are limited - Chien-Ming Wang is Taiwanese, but hardly retro enough, and Yankee to boot. I didn't want to pay $190 for a Byung-Hyun Kim jersey, plus he was pretty horrid as the "closer" for the Red Sox. Eventually, I started looking at Japanese players. Couldn't find a Len Sakata jersey. No dice on even Hideo Nomo where I thought I might have some luck. I don't like Ichiro. Couldn't find a Shigetoshi Hasegawa jersey. Almost bought Kei Igawa jersey - yes, he's a Yankee, but he's so bad he sort of reflects the Bronx Bombers present (likely brief) downward blip.

Some other ridiculous things I saw other than Tekulve (besides prices on MLB jerseys, which are just absurd):

A Todd Walker turn AHEAD the clock jersey. A really botched promotion by MLB. Just look at this one. $600, what a ripoff. I'm thinking about offering the guy $100.

This rugby jersey from the Stade Francais rugby :


And last year's kit is here. Wow. And this one:




I got the brown one with the pink flowers, LOL, I'll post a picture when and if I get it since I ordered it from some dicey site in the UK. I guess I'm going against the rules a bit, but I have all the rugby gear, socks and everything since I currently play. Baseball pants aren't something you really wear a lot if you buy a pair. Also, some guys are going as the Cincy Bengals running back legacy (Rudi Johnson, Kijana Carter and Stanley Wilson. So I think the Stade Francais rugby jersey is fair game, along with my somewhat short rugby shorts and some yet to be found pink socks.

Need to retract my $30 bid on the autographed Kei Igawa jersey...

2 comments:

car servicing said...

nice blog about the jerseys......
but very dark color shades add some lighter shades jerseys that's look great....

home interior decorators said...

I will say, the Padres have the single ugliest uniform in all of North American professional sports...