Thursday, June 19, 2008

Celebrating the Celtics championship like drunken idiots

Here is a video I took of some solid human beings acting rioting after the Boston Celtics won their 17th world championship. This is taking place on Canal Street about twenty minutes after the end of the game. My camera didn't pick it up too well, but right at the beginning you can see a guy throwing a sign post through the window.



Here it is from the flip side:



About 30 seconds later, a police officer showed up. I didn't get a shot of it, but one last guy threw a sign through the 90 Canal Street window and got tackled by police officers. He was the only one out of about 15 people who participated in that act who got in trouble though. There are lots of other shots on YouTube if you want to check out.

As a mildly trained social psychologist (I have a degree anyhow), it's fascinating to me why people are actually looking to break things and riot. I saw people just grabbing random street signs and shaking them. I saw a guy jump on top of the Mix 98.5 radio station SUV and roll over the top of it. I saw a MBTA bus full of riot officer. Some of it seemed like a rave (especially with the drummer playing the upside down duck sauce buckets and the entrancing Beat LA chant). And some of it seemed straight out of Lord of the Flies.

The City of Boston has had a lot of practice with this, so they did a decent job moving people out of the neighborhood once things started getting out of hand. One thing I don't understand is why they don't put outhouses since just about every corner you could see drunken revelers peeing (see the Gary Zerola story, then multiply by 100,000). Well, actually, maybe I know why - I'm sure they'd get tipped. I'm pretty sure there's nothing worse that being in a tipped outhouse.

I guess the NBA "Celebrate with Dignity" campaign didn't reach these guys.

No comments: