Friday, May 30, 2008

Reclusive billionaire gives $50 million to the Legatum Center

Cool article in the Guardian that includes three pretty sweet social entrepreneurs:

1) Craig Doescher, my friend from MIT who besides knowing more about the auto manufacturing supply chain that anyone I've ever met, is working to bring hand-made toys to the US from Honduras. This post couldn't possibly be complete without a picture of Craig laughing at my horrific karaoke rendition of Bon Jovi's It's My Life sung in some type of imperial karaoke house in Guangzhou, China.

2) Iqbal Quadir, one of the rainmakers who did Grameenphone (now a $4 billion company) and esteemed graduate of my alma mater, Swarthmore College. He's the current head of the Legatum Center which is doing all sorts of very cool things in developmental entrepreneurship.

3) A reclusive billionaire named Christopher Chandler, who I can honestly say I have never heard of. He has done such a good job being reclusive that his Forbes billionaire profile doesn't have a picture. Nice. But he's cool in my book for giving $50 million bucks to some of the smartest and gutsiest people doing work in the developing world.

I just got on the mailing list to work on the Google - Acumen methodology for measuring returns on social investments, and I have the feeling that this type of bet will have an extremely high ROI. Bravo.

1 comment:

Rooney said...

I chanced upon to view your blog and found it very interesting. Great ... Keep it up!